Thursday, April 11, 2013

Family, and Friends!!
So I can’t get into my email so I am writing this email on word and I'm gonna copy and paste it in later today.  I hope you all got the pictures I sent earlier this week.  They aren’t too exciting, but we are only allowed to take pictures once every two weeks. I am going to try to take my camera out when we go to Buenos Aires this week so hopefully I can get some cool pictures.
Important! Please do not send any more mail to this address. I am leaving in the next 12 days so I won’t get any mail. So please update the address on my blog to the address of my mission home. The new adress is:

Elder Daniel Scott Staffieri
La Mision Uruguay Montevideo Oeste
Enrique Martinez 1167
Montevideo, Uruguay  11.800

So one month out and here I am!! It’s so crazy that it has been a month already. I feel like it has been a week. Maybe it’s because I have been doing the same thing everyday for the past 4 weeks. We are in class for like 12 hours a day and have an hour and a half for physical activity. So the days don’t really separate themselves. So it’s gonna by way fast! Spanish is coming along awesome. It’s so much fun talking in Spanish especially to the natives because they talk sooooooooo fast it’s kind of like a guessing game based on what you were able to discern. But when we teach lessons you can definitely tell the spirit is there helping you out.
Conference was so awesome!! I can’t even explain the spirit that is in the CCM during conference. Everyone was so quiet, focused and taking notes like crazy. Then we all got together after each session and reviewed talks and related them to teaching and shared scriptures we could use in them. It was seriously the best. I have never gotten more out of a general conference. My favorite talks were Elder Holland, Elder Bednar, and as always, Elder Uchtdorf (he is the man, especially in Priesthood session). It started way late here. The morning session started at 1pm and the afternoon session started at 5 pm. Priesthood would have ended at like midnight so we watched it on Sunday during our Priesthood meeting.  It was cool having six hours on Sunday. It flew by though. The only bad part of conference is that we actually had fast Sunday. So we didn’t eat dinner the night before and everyone was dying haha. But we feasted spiritually all conference so it was worth it.
Funny story. Yesterday I was playing basketball with everyone during actividad fisica. And I ran down the court after elder el-bakri because he stole the ball and was going for a lay up. So I was in a dead sprint. I got down there where he was going up, and because I am so graceful, I tripped over his leg and flew sideways into the metal goal post under the hoop (the court double as a basketball court and soccer field). My left thigh hit it and I helicoptered off spinning the other direction. I felt like one of those quarter backs who dive into the endzone and get hit and just start spinning out of control. Haha. It was so gnarly. Elder Finnegan said it looks legit though. My bruise looks so gnarly, its my entire right thigh. Hopefully it will get better in the next few days.  So funny.
Proselitismo this Saturday!! Ah I can’t wait to get back out there and go teach real investigators and actually come teach our appointments we set up. It’s going to be awesome!!!! Its pouring rain here right now so maybe it will be pouring then too, which would make it more interesting. But my Spanish has gotten a lot better from 2 weeks ago when we went so I want to get out and put it to use.
The last group of Americans just left this past Tuesday. I am jealous but so pumped to think that that is going to be me in just a mere 12 days!! We are getting a new group of latinos today, the ones that are going to our mission so we have been talking to as many as we can, getting to know them and their story, trying to get them to feel more comfortable. They are the quitest group so far so it’s hard getting them out of their shell. But more are coming all day today so we are all excited. And not only are we getting more Latinos, but we are getting a brand new group of Americans too! I remember that flight, probably the worst, best experience of my life. Being all cramped up in the back of a plane with no leg room because you couldn’t fit your bag under the seat, being shoved in the middle of the row. Haha. Everyone is watching a movie around you but you can’t. All you look at is the map of where the plane is, seeing where you could possible be in 13 hours if you dont die before then, praying you can fall asleep but knowing that there is now way you can.  But then at the same time, you are so stoked. You are actually on your mission. You have been prepairing your whole life to be on this flight, to be an instrument in the Lord’s hands. Knowing that its actually happening!! I get stoked just thinking about it! 2 more weeks till the real deal!!
So this past week our district has shrunk even more. Maybe I wrote about it last week but I don’t remember if I did or not so here I am doing it again. The district of nefi has only 5 members. Me, Elder Finnegan, Elder El-Bakri (the 3 nephites) and two sisters: Hermana Toone and Hermana Fullmer. Its actually a ton of fun having a small district and our room is a lot less crowded.
So I found a scripture in personal study this morning reading in the New Testiment. I haven’t read the Bible that much so I have been trying to read more and more every day with my Book of Mormon studies. But anyways, the scripture is in Matthew, the last two verses. It is Matthew 28: 19-20. It says “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” I like this scripture so much because it explains our purpose as missionaries. We are out here to teach the word of God. We have been called by a prophet to spread the gospel to the whole earth to administer the saving ordinances, baptism being the first! We go about teaching with the Spirit of God as our constant companion. Sharing with them the way they can have this amazing gift of the gospel, to have the gift of the Holy Ghost, to live with their families forever, to return to live with our Heavenly Father. This is God’s work, this is the work we have been called to. There is no better work! I am so blessed to be out here in Argentina and to be leaving to Uruguay. I know this is the true gospel. The Atonement is the greatest miracle the world has ever seen. It is perfect. I know that this is the only way to return to our Heavenly Father. I know that this is the only way for happiness in this life.  The gospel is awesome.
I am out of time but I love you all. I am so excited to be out on my mission. This is where I am supposed to be.  I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Till next week!
Elder Staffieri
SEE PICTURES BELOW
                                                  The North American Elders
                                                                 The Three Nephites!

                                                       The California Contingent
                                                                      Dan's District

No comments:

Post a Comment